Friday, April 20, 2012

Last Week's Saturday Ride

Last Saturday, we completed one of the toughest rides physically that we've faced so far. It was littered with hills and snaked through southern York county. Our day started at a coffee shop by the York Hospital. It was a beautiful ride, that tested every ounce of effort and training that we've put into this endeavor up until this point.

At the end of the day, depending on who's GPS you were reading, we climbed between 3,600 and 4,400 ft. This is extremely close to the total elevation we'll face in Tahoe, over a total of 100 miles. At the end of the day, Jenelle and I hobbled in just behind the fastest riders of our group. Luckily, we made it through another ride without any issues!



Distance: 48.41 mi
Moving Time: 3:24:20
Avg Moving Speed: 14.2 mph
Max Speed: 39.7 mph
Elevation Gain: 3,600 ft - 4,400ft

Last night I went for a 16 mile training ride with the team, followed by an attempt at a 2 mile run. I say it was an attempt, because after about 300 yards I collapsed with one of the most painful calf muscle cramp ever. It was one that feels as if your muscle is going to come right through the skin. After some helpful hysterical laughter and stretching tips from coach Shelly, eventually I was able to stand and continue on to complete some of the rest of the run. They call it a Brick when you ride then run... I'm not entirely sure, but I think that must be because your calf muscles turn into bricks if you don't stretch properly. :-)

Anyway... I'm looking forward to our ride tomorrow with the team. Right now I'm on the train back from Philly. Had a great meeting with my east coast AArete family. Chris brought Morning Glories for me to take home to Jenelle! Thanks buddy... you're the greatest.

The view from our office today. Not too shabby.

Riding past TMI at the moment! Almost home.

No comments:

Post a Comment